Original 22,000 acres the homestead selection was taken up in 1850. The current homestead building was commissioned by Isaac Moore in the 1860’s, and built by 2 cabinet makers from the Orkney Islands. Made of solid red cedar (right down to the rafters in the roof), it was hand milled on the property from the abundant supply of cedar trees. The roofing iron was shipped from Redcliffe in England, and is still in place to this day. The old hay barn and horse boxes were built it 1901, and are still in use today for weddings and other functions.
Over the years the homestead has extended a warm welcome to thousands of guests, campers and dignitaries including Lord Lamington, Lord Chelmsford, The Swedish ambassador to Australia, and many others.
Kenilworth Homestead is still one of South East Queensland’s premiere family campsites, we offer four main styles of accommodation; camping (tent, camper, caravan), Bunk Rooms, Knott’s Cottage and our Spa Rooms.
Today you are welcome to visit and stay or camp in the grounds of this historic part of the Mary Valley.